Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hello Sadness



"Are you not gonna blog until the Oscars?" -My roommate.


Yes, I have been slacking once again, getting caught in the midst of my daily routine, and forgetting to devout little time for my blogging exposee.


Yet, thankfully, blogging is the only thing I've put on hold. Regardless of my dreadful schedule, I still manage to find time to meet with friends, go out, read books, watch movies, and laugh. :)
Sleep has turned into an unattainable luxury, who has completely forgotten about me...I'll randomly give out and collapse like a camel, I'm well aware of that. 






"Bonjour Tristesse" by Francoise Sagan.


I've always been a fan of French films, novels, and romance.  Sadness has a certain beauty that happiness just cannot portray. This theme is repeated in most French art...whether it's music, film, or paintings.  I boldly admit, I'm compelled to find pleasure in such sufferings.  I believe a person is most inspired and brilliant when in sadness or depression, the best works of art are driven by some sort of tragedy...  This forces us, the audience, to be more compassionate and relate to others' pain.


Most of you probably heard of the French iconic writer, Francoise Segan... 
This past week,  I did one of the most notorious mistakes...watched the movie instead of reading the book. Thanks to vkontakte.ru I watched this 1995 French film in the comfort of my bed, with my laptop, and without having to read the subtitles (was translated to Russian). 


The movie was fantastic, leaving you with that emptiness and need to reevaluate people's true character....exactly what I wanted.  This is not the typical sobbing, tear-dropping sadness, but the kind that bluntly switches optimism to realism. Life doesn't have a "happy ending," it just simply goes on...


Since I was sure I'd like the book even more than the movie, I spent my Sunday reading it...I was right, indeed. 


I'm sure all of you have an access to google and can easily read the synopsis yourself... 


I will though leave you with my favorite quote...

"He refused categorically all notions of fidelity and serious commitments. He explained that they were arbitrary and sterile. From anyone else such views would have shocked me, but I knew that in his case they did not exclude either tenderness or devotion; feelings which came all the more easily to him since he was determined that they should be transient. This conception of rapid, violent and passing love affairs appealed to my imagination. I was not at the age when fidelity is attractive. I knew very little about love.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment